Albrecht, R., Hoffmann, J. A., Pleskac, T., Rieskamp, J. & von Helversen, B. (under review). Unstacking judgments: What response distributions reveal about the cognitive process in multiple-cue judgments. Cognitive Psychology
Hoffmann, J. A., von Helversen, B., & Rieskamp, J. (under review). Testing learning mechanisms of rule-based judgment. Decision
Hoffmann, J. A., von Helversen, B., Weilbächer, R. A., & Rieskamp, J. (2018). Tracing the path of forgetting in rule abstraction and exemplar retrieval. The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology. doi: 10.1177/1747021817739861
Hoffmann, J. A., Gaissmeier, W., & von Helversen, B. (2017). Justifying the judgment process affects neither judgment accuracy, nor strategy use. Judgment and Decision Making, 12(6), 627-641.
Hoffmann, J. A., von Helversen, B., & Rieskamp, J. (2016). Similar task features shape judgment and categorization processes. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, & Cognition, 42, 1193-1217.
Hoffmann, J. A., von Helversen, B., & Rieskamp, J. (2014). Pillars of judgment: How memory abilities affect performance in rule-based and exemplar-based judgments. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 143, 2242-2261.
Hoffmann, J. A., von Helversen, B., & Rieskamp, J. (2013). Deliberation’s blind sight: How cognitive load can improve judgments. Psychological Science, 24, 869-879.
Hoffmann, J A., von Helversen, B., & Rieskamp, J. (2013). How episodic and working memory affect rule- and memory-based judgments. In Knauff, M., Pauen, M., Sebanz, N., & Wachsmuth, I. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 35th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society (pp. 585-590). Austin, TX: Cognitive Science Society.
Ongoing research projects
- The relation between memory abilities and decision-making competence in Multiple Sclerosis Patients. (joint work with the Kliniken Schmieder)
- Predicting value-based decisions with a memory model. (joint work with T: Gomilsek and W. Gaissmaier)
- Integrating cue-based judgments with retrieval from memory: a learning approach. (joint work with R. Albrecht & B. von Helversen)
- Working memory and decision making under risk. (joint work with R. Frey, A. Pedroni, B. von Helversen, J. Rieskamp, & R. Hertwig)
- Understanding the contributions of working memory processes to decision making: A framework and a meta-analysis. (joint work with K. Oberauer, B. von Helversen, & T. Pachur)
- Unsupervised judgment. (joint work with T. Omerzu & M. Speekenbrink)
Funded research projects
Towards understanding the cognitive representations underlying unsupervised judgment (funded by the DFG)
Cognitive capacity limits in judgment and decision making: a meta-analysis (funded by the University of Konstanz)